Then Dig 999 More
2023-05-22 – Epidiah Ravachol
Momentarily, I will attempt to rescue one of my favorite posts from the mouldering depths of the old blog. An ignominy I'll probably extend to old tweet-threads and g-pluses—or whatever it was we used to call those. In an act of infinite hubris, and a little desperation, I'm going to tag these greatest hits under :we-sold-our-soul-for-rock-n-role.
I've got a few reason for doing this.
- I've done a lot of free writing over the years for platforms I didn't own or operate. Time to steal some of those sweet, sweet words back.
- The new blog is going to need a little padding before it looks like the real thing.
- I've been at this game designing business for a couple of decades now and could use a refresher on what I've been on about all this time.
- For that matter, I wouldn't mind revisiting a few of these topics from my current perspective to see if my opinions have changed.
- Plus, it'll provide a nice set of test cases to develop my blogging software around.
That last point is perhaps the most exciting to me at the moment. The technical back side of what you're seeing right now is pretty rudimentary. I'm basically writing these posts in Hiccup, which is almost like writing in raw HTML. I don't mind it at the moment, but eventually I'm going to want to make it a bit more convenient. Working through these old posts/tweets/whatevers should help me figure out what that might look like in the future.
Who knows, though? In all my digging, I might unearth an old abandoned project or idea worthy of a full resurrection? It has happened before and doubtless will again.
With that, I'm off to find some good spelunking music. Maybe one of John Carpenter's many Lost Themes.